By DR LYNN BURMEISTER
I am often asked by women what can they eat to improve their fertility and increase the chances of getting pregnant.
The good news is that simple changes to diet can make a difference to fertility. Here is my best advice:
· Leafy greens like spinach and kale are packed with pre-natal vitamins and minerals such as calcium, iron and folate which lowers the risk of brain and spinal defects in the developing baby.
· Avocados are packed with the healthy fats and high in vitamin E which is a powerful antioxidant that protects our cells including eggs and sperm against antioxidants.
· Wild salmon Is packed with omega 3 and DHA that are important for the fetal brain and eye development.
· Eggs are the super food for people trying to conceive. They’re a great source of protein, vitamins and minerals. It is high in amino acids like choline which is important for your baby’s brain and spinal cord development.
· Lentils and beans are packed with protein and are high in fibre. B vitamins and iron are all very important when you are trying to conceive.
· Use quinoa to replace your grains like rice. Unlike rice it is high in fibre and low in calories and is also a gluten-free carbohydrate that helps to look after your gut health.
· Berries are loaded with antioxidants and are low in calories. Try to have a cup a day.
· Figs are packed with antioxidants and are high in iron. Iron deficiency can lead to many health issues. Iron deficiency makes you tired and lethargic and may affect your fertility.
· Pomegranates have an abundance of antioxidants including polyphenols that is powerful in removing free radicals that can damage egg and sperm.
· Tomatoes are packed with vitamin C and lycopene. They are great especially when cooked as it releases the lycopene in the tomato which is a fantastic antioxidant.
· Nuts and seeds like almonds, walnuts,Brazil nuts and sunflower seeds are a great low-calorie snack high in protein,good fatty acids and vitamins including vitamin E that can help your endometrial lining.
· Olive oil has high levels of monounsaturated fats and is used in the Mediterranean diet that has been shown to improve your chances to conceive.
· Oysters are packed with omega 3, protein, iron,zinc and vitamin B especially B 12 and are also low in calories and a great fertility boosting food.
· Onions and garlic are packed with selenium that are important for egg and sperm function.
· Water. Make sure you keep your body hydrated and drink at least 2 litres of water each day – the 8 x 8 rule – 8 ounce glasses x 8 – stay clear of plastic water bottles with BPA as they are harmful to both eggs and sperm.
I hope you find these fertility tips helpful!
Good luck & Best wishes.